Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Prayer for the Future aka My Cats, Spin and Stir

I look around me and see everything that is, everything physically present, the people I live with and what they have, and I know this is not the place for me. The things I have said no to, the things that could have been mine, had I just said yes...but I said no. I said no for reasons that made sense at the time, but loneliness has a mind of its own. And sometimes the loneliness of the now is more powerful than the knowledge of the discontent that was. It's hard to not get lost in "knowing you made the right decision".

So this is my prayer for the future:

I pray that if and when I have two cats, they will not be named Spin and Stir. I ask for a place to be prepared for me in Portland. I pray that my heart will be only on what is set before me.

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Proverbs 25-27
Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.

Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.

Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

2 comments: