Sunday, April 25, 2010

The 8th Day

So I am attempting to get better at the whole "If you don't have something nice to say to someone, don't say anything at all" thing...or at least I am trying to not say stuff that serves no ultimate purpose beyond my personal gratification of saying it. But then WHERE IS THE OUTLET???

And on the eighth day, God created blogging.

So without further adieu:

Dear (name withheld),

You are ridiculous. It has been super interesting for me to watch you grow up and become a man. Because though I thought you were a man when I met you four years ago, you most certainly were not. You have grown and changed and matured, and I am in my heart of hearts, SO proud of you. I know it hasn't been easy. In fact, I know these past four years have been some of the hardest, but sometimes that's what it takes to get a person to grow up.

I think the thing that gets me is that you have not become the person I always thought you were. There is still a tiny (very tiny) part of me that thinks it knows you better than you do (and oh man, reading that would probably piss you off greatly).

It's just funny to me that someone so goofy and fun can also come across as so over serious. Maybe I just can't synthesize the two sides. I know you care deeply about things, and things that really matter. But the way you express this through over-dramatic facebook notes that I "need to pass on until everyone I know has read about said travesty that was caused by texting while driving" just comes across as something my mom would forward to all of her friends. Maybe I don't like it because it doesn't seem like you. Then again, maybe I don't know you anymore. Maybe we just care about different things. There is also a good chance that I am getting to witness first hand what it looks like for you to express the things you care about. Maybe these are the first tottering steps of an activist and the wrinkles will iron themselves out. Or perhaps not. Maybe this is just who you are.

And who I thought you were is not who you are. Or is it? I think I am still coming to terms with the death of a dream. And I think that's okay. Best of luck, and many blessings. You know I'll always love you (in the simple and pure friendship sense, of course :).

Always,
Melanie

1 comment: