Sunday, January 24, 2010

Glimpse

It is not often I feel as though I experience the world as God intended it.

Last night, I did.

As Christians, I feel we spend a lot of time trying to convince ourselves that everything is okay. Or perhaps, this is just me. I sing worship songs at the top of my lungs, repeating to myself that "It is well with my soul." Confession: It is rarely "well" with my soul. Most of the time I just like the harmony and echo that is the girl part of the song. Strike me down, I said it.

I tend to dwell on negative things...I mean, look around, it's not like I have a lack of material for contemplation. But as I begin to recognize the source of my negativity, I have conversely begun to have eyes to see the goodness of God in the Right Here, Right Now. My new (inconsistent) ability to experience God in my present tense has a lot to do with letting Him surprise me. But as I learned in social dance class on Friday, I am HORRIBLE at letting someone else lead. I want to know what's going on, so I'm ready and won't fail (which is a whole other conversation).

A guy I follow on Twitter recently tweeted "Lower your expectations. It's the unexpected that you're expecting." (@rands) SO true. This all equals a big fat load of uncomfortable letting go. And honestly, just hoping and trusting God will show up.

Last night I went to a Tyrone Wells concert at the Hotel Cafe in LA with my friend Kim from my Life Group. Not only is it a sweet venue, but Tyrone was playing with Iain Archer, who was Irish and made me feel like I was in the movie Once, and Tony Luca who was apparently in the Mickey Mouse Club with Justin and Britney. The lead guitarist from Snow Patrol was there too and played a few songs with Iain. It was sweet.

I have seen Tyrone in concert before. It's always a good time. If you have never see him live, I highly suggest you go (ASAP, tickets keep going up in price! He is becoming sort of a big deal). Seeing Tyrone play this time was especially good for me at the stage of life I am in, where I am learning to have more faith that God is alive and present in other people.

Tyrone reminded me of very good things. To see a man passionate about what he does, passionate about the Lord, passionate about other people, and successful, is one of the most inspiring things to witness. And he's funny. (Go buy your tickets NOW, haha).

He ends every concert by singing a song he wrote called "When All is Said and Done", about how even though one day he might be rich and famous, when all is said and done it's our love for others and our relationship with God that matters. In truth, I have heard the song a few times. I have been to a handful of concerts, I have it on CD. It's a good song...but I've heard it...more than once. So towards the end, I saw it coming, and out of respect for a performer I knew I liked, I forced myself to pay attention. And for a few seconds it worked...until my mind inevitably wandered.

I was pulled back to reality when he stepped away from the mic, and kept singing. With the microphone no longer magnifying his voice, Tyrone trancended from performer to equal. I had never seen him do this before. In those moments, he was a man, singing his heart, to a room full of people, sharing what matters most to him. In those moments he shared the intimacy of a deep conversation about the state of the world and the reality of God. And I felt it. In those moments I knew that God is good, because God is alive in the hearts of other people.

The part I play in the reconciliation of the world is small, but I play a part. More importantly though, I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment